Diabetes Specialist Dietitian
- Band 6
- Full time: 37.5 hours per week
- Whittington Health NHS Trust
- Intermediate Diabetes Service
- £31,365 - £37,890 per annum excl HCAs
- 07/03/2021 23:59
For our current apprenticeship vacancies, please go to https://www.gov.uk/apply-apprenticeship and use Keyword ‘Whittington’
By applying for this role, you accept in the event you are successful that your personal data may be transferred from the Trust to another NHS organisation where your employment transfers within the NHS. This is in accordance with the streamlining programme which is aimed at saving you time and improving efficiencies within the NHS when your employment transfers.
Diabetes Specialist Dietitian, Band 6
The Community Nutrition & Dietetics Department is made up of recognised experts in nutrition and diet therapy. Our team strives to take an innovative approach to nutrition for mind and body and is continually involved in quality improvement projects to further benefit staff and patient experience. In 2019 the team won Whittington Health’s Clinical Team of the Year Award, recognising our dedication to improving patient care in the community. In 2021 we were also shortlisted for the Health Tech Newspaper Now Awards for a service development project related to the rapid response to Covid19.
This new and exciting dietetic post is an integrated role between the Community Nutrition and Dietetics Team and the Intermediate Diabetes Service (50:50 split). As such it provides a fantastic opportunity to develop specialist skills in diabetes whilst maintaining your skills in the challenging and varied field of community dietetics
Main duties of the job
To provide patient centered approach for patients who require oral nutrition support, either in their own homes, dietetic clinics or within residential care homes
To provide clinical nutrition and dietetic advice to patients, on a one-to-one basis within a clinic setting, by telephone/video consultation and also in a virtual group consultation setting providing specialist dietary advice in the management of long term conditions.
The post holder will be supported by a dedicated line manager, specialist diabetes practitioners as well as a service manager with knowledge and experience of both services. The post holder will work across Whittington Health Integrated Care Organisation (ICO) alongside 0.5wte Band 7 Diabetes Specialist Dietitian.
Working for our organisation
Whittington Health serves a richly diverse population and works hard to ensure that all our services are fair and equally accessible to everyone. Nowhere is this more obvious than in the way we look after our staff. We aim to employ a workforce which is as representative as possible of this population, so we are open to the value of differences in age, disability, gender, marital status, pregnancy and maternity, race, sexual orientation, and religion or belief. The Trust believes that as a public sector organisation we have an obligation to have recruitment, training, promotion and other formal employment policies and procedures that are sensitive to these differences. We think that by doing so, we are better able to treat our patients as well as being a better place to work.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
Autonomously manage a varied and complex caseload of patients requiring nutrition support
To communicate effectively with patients and carers, using motivational interviewing skills where necessary.
To ensure practice is evidence based, by keeping up to date with new research literature, and by regularly evaluating working practices through evidence based practice projects, audit and research.
To work alongside the Band 7 Dietitian assisting to identify areas requiring service development.
To organise, implement and evaluate group education/group consultation sessions for different client groups.
Education / Qualifications
- BSc Nutrition & Dietetics or BSc in relevant science subject plus post-graduate diploma Nutrition & Dietetics
- Current HPC registration
- Practice Educators courses e.g. facilitating learning etc
- Evidence of further postgraduate study relevant to the specialist area e.g. MSc, or working towards MSc (accredited modules)
- Attended Behavioural therapy management course
Skills & Abilities
- Good communication • Written • Verbal
- Demonstrate computer literacy
- Organisational and time management
- Good presentation skills
- Ability to problem solve, prioritise & demonstrate clinical reasoning based on experience & knowledge
- Skills in the assessment and treatment of people with diabetes
- Ability to liaise and communicate well with professionals and patients at all levels
Knowledge & Experience
- Experience of student training
- Experience conducting education sessions • carers and patients (including students), other healthcare professionals
- Experience conducting education sessions • nurses and medics (including students), other healthcare professionals
- Sound clinical knowledge of nutrition and dietetics and an understanding of the dietary management of common conditions as well as specialist knowledge of diabetes
- Working with a multi-disciplinary team
- Experience of conducting audits/research
- Ability to Work effectively as part of a team
- Flexible and Adaptable in different situiations
- Enthusiastic, Motivated and Shows Inititative and Assertiveness
- Able to work to promote the service
- Able to stay calm when dealing with a number of issues as the same time
- Member of the BDA
- Member os DMEG
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions Order) 1975 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Sri EDUPUGANTI
- Job title
- Diabetes specialist dietician
- Email address
- Telephone number
- Additional information
Loreta Mogardo Loretta.firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have problems applying, contact
Whittington Health NHS Trust
- 020 7288 3306