Service Manager - Surgery & Cancer
NHS AfC: Band 7
- Services Manager - Surgery & Cancer
- NHS AfC: Band 7
- Fixed term: 6 months
- Full time - 37.5 hours per week (37.5 hrs per week)
- Whittington Health NHS Trust
- Whittington Health
- £47,154 - £52,936 £45,753 -£51,669 (inc HCAs)
- 20/10/2021 08:00
For our current apprenticeship vacancies, please go to https://www.gov.uk/apply-apprenticeship and use Keyword ‘Whittington’
By applying for this role, you accept in the event you are successful that your personal data may be transferred from the Trust to another NHS organisation where your employment transfers within the NHS. This is in accordance with the streamlining programme which is aimed at saving you time and improving efficiencies within the NHS when your employment transfers.
The Surgery & Cancer Integrated Care Service Unit (ISCU) is looking to recruit a Service Manager. This role offers the candidate an opportunity to work across the organisation managing and supporting surgical and cancer services.
At Whittington Health there is a culture of collaborative working in both the acute and community services, and this role will be integral in delivering surgical services across the organisation in collaboration with the Lead Nurses, Lead Clinicians and Tumour Group & Clinical Leads. For service group the Services Manager will be an integral part of each triumvirate management team.
There will be an expectation for the post holder to represent Whittington Health at cross NCL meetings for respective specialties so this role presents the successful candidate with an opportunity for network working and exposure to commissioners thinking.
Main duties of the job
Working with other members of the Divisional Team, the Service Manager will support the Senior Management & Clinical Teams in the planning and delivery of clinical services and ensure the achievement of key objectives. The post holder will work across organisational boundaries to ensure appropriate services are in place and to deliver national and local strategic and operational service objectives and standards.
This will include responsibility for all aspects of planning, including service planning, project management and the production of business cases, ensuring that there are systems in place to monitor and measure Divisional and Specialty performance. They will have direct responsibility for ensuring that resources are utilised efficiently.
Working for our organisation
We are looking for a candidate who is able to lead and motivate teams, meets our organisational values of I CARE, and can contribute as a senior member of the ICSU management team.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
The Services Manager has responsibility for the operational management of surgical services within the Integrated Care Service Unit (ICSU), ICSU leadership of performance monitoring and management, as well as ensuring development of systems and frameworks to ensure the achievement of key national and local objectives.
All aspects of clinical and non-clinical planning, project management, Service & Quality Improvement and development of business cases within the Division.
- Degree or equivalent professional academic qualification or equivalent experience
- Masters degree or equivalent level of experience
- Management qualification of equivalent
Skills & abilities
- Able to analyse and made judgements on a wide range of general management subjects e.g. finance, HR, quality & environment
- Able to effectively work and communicate witih members of different professions and across organisational boundaries demonstrating sensitivity/understanding to a wide range of different people/organisations
- Ability to write and convincingly present reports to a range of audiencies at all levels of the organisation
- Ability to effectively negotiate, persudade and influence at all levels of the need to pursue a particular course of action
- Ability to manage and resolve conflict in an effective but non-aggressive manner
- Ability to motivate and inspire staff
- Able to act as a catalyst for change, encouraging innovation and creativity in service redesign
- Good IT skills together with an understanding of IT systems and appreciation of thier application and management in order to ensure effective service delivery
- Knowledge of governance issues arising from recent investigations into the provision of relevant health services
- Knowledge of external environment including national and regional strategies and priorities and the national political agenda
- Knowledge of the clinical and corporate governance agendas
- Knowledge of the business planning process and its application in service delivery
- Knowledge of the Consultant Contract
- Knowledge of financial flows in the NHS and impact on service planning
Knowledge & experience
- Healthcare management experience with evidence of service delivery
- Operational responsibility for multi-disciplinary staff groups
- Exposure to solving a range of operational problems including those involving HR and Finance
- Managing and delivering redesign and change management
- Influencing decisions at a senior level including evidence of successful collaboration with senior medical staff
- Proven track record of delivering against set objectives and achieving key targets, demonstrating continious quality improvements
- Undertaking business/service planning in a multi-disciplinary setting taking into account finance, workforce, equipment and organisatinoal factors
- Experience of project management
- Demonstrate willingness and attitude to meet the Trust values
- Able to manage staff and achieve optimum performance
- Ability to work under pressure and to meet deadlines whilst maintain a high quality of work
- Ability to prioritise and quickly identify the core issues in a situation
- Evidence of team working
- Personal integrity
- Ability to quickly grasp new ideas and concepts
- Willing to challenge traditional practices and wins support from peers to new initiatives by reconciling conflicts and applying rational thinking
- Ability to set high standards for self and others to deliver service priorities
- Ability to maintain credibility amongst all levels of staff
- Intellectual capacity to provide the leadership and direction to develop services and opportunities
- Committment to personal and professional development
- Emotionally resilient to competing demands within the organisation and local health economy
- Political awareness and diplomacy
The postholder will have access to vulnerable people in the course of their normal duties and as such this post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and as such it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service to check for any previous criminal convictions.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Hasan Rabbani
- Job title
- General Manager- Surgery & Cancer
- Email address
- Additional information
Hasan Rabbani, General Manager Surgery
If you have problems applying, contact
Whittington Health NHS Trust
- 0207 288 3767