Occupational Health Nurse Advisor
NHS AfC: Band 6
- Occupational Health
- NHS AfC: Band 6
- Fixed term: 18 months
- Part time: 22.5 hours per week
- Whittington Health NHS Trust
- Whittington Health
- £31,365 - £37,890 per annum + HCA pro-rata
- 28/02/2021 23:59
For our current apprenticeship vacancies, please go to https://www.gov.uk/apply-apprenticeship and use Keyword ‘Whittington’
By applying for this role, you accept in the event you are successful that your personal data may be transferred from the Trust to another NHS organisation where your employment transfers within the NHS. This is in accordance with the streamlining programme which is aimed at saving you time and improving efficiencies within the NHS when your employment transfers.
We have a fantastic opportunity for a motivated and experienced Occupational Health (OH) Nurse Advisor to join Whittington Health an established and SEQHOS accredited OH Service.
The post offers diversity and an opportunity to gain Occupational Health management experience in this expanding department, which has a very good reputation and relationship with the Trust. You will be expected to work with our main contractor at RNOH. Occasional travel to our various contract sites will be required
You will be working in a team of 13 staff who provide Occupational Health services to the NHS and external businesses. You will have a positive attitude towards the health and well-being of employees and must have excellent case management and report writing skills.
Main duties of the job
Your Responsibilities will include providing telephone health related advice to managers, Health Surveillance, immunisations, management referrals, providing written reports and advice to managers, mini health checks and health promotion activities
You will have line management supervision but will be expected to work independently as well as providing off site health surveillance . You will participate in the annual flu vaccination programme and have the ability to work effectively with minimal supervision, be a team player who engages in the timely delivery of services.
The ideal candidate will be able to work autonomously and also part of the Multi-Disciplinary Team, whilst maintaining effective communication with clients, managers and other professionals to ensure seamless service delivery. You will act as an advisor to our business clients and Trust managers in relation to specific work environments and healthcare settings.
Working for our organisation
Whittington Health serves a richly diverse population and works hard to ensure that all our services are fair and equally accessible to everyone. Nowhere is this more obvious than in the way we look after our staff. We aim to employ a workforce which is as representative as possible of this population, so we are open to the value of differences in age, disability, gender, marital status, pregnancy and maternity, race, sexual orientation, and religion or belief. The Trust believes that as a public sector organisation we have an obligation to have recruitment, training, promotion and other formal employment policies and procedures that are sensitive to these differences. We think that by doing so, we are better able to treat our patients as well as being a better place to work.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
Title: Occupational Health Nurse Advisor
Grade: Band 6 0.6 wte (18 month fixed term)
Annual Leave: 27 days per annum increasing to 29 days after 5 years NHS service and 33 days after 10 years NHS service
Department: Base location Whittington Hospital Occupational
Health Department, but may be expected to cover community sites within Haringey and Islington boroughs.
Responsible to: Lead Occupational Health Nurse
Accountable to: Head of Service
To assist in the provision of an Occupational Health Service to all Whittington Health NHS staff and to any organisation contracting a service from the department.
The post holder will be required to work off site on occasions, dependent upon service needs. Work will be managed rather than supervised and the OH nurse will be accountable for their own professional actions.
- To assist in the implementation of Whittington Health Policy in relation to health screening and health
- To perform management referral assessment and produce management
- To participate in the immunisation programme following
- To carry out Phlebotomy.
- To assist in the implementation of infection control policies and procedures as appropriate.
- To ensure confidentiality and maintain confidential records within the Occupational Health dept. and off site.
- To understand and implement legislation relating to the Data Protection Act.
- To deliver trust induction talks for new entrants.
- To deliver sharps awareness talks for clinical staff.
- To liaise with other departments within Whittington Health and external contractors, to ensure the efficient running of the department.
- To deliver health & wellbeing and stress management initiatives.
- To provide advice and support to staff who have been injured and/or assaulted in the workplace. Dealing with sensitive situations wherein staff could be highly distressed.
- To assist in audits/research projects undertaken by the service, as agreed with the Head of Service/Lead OH Nurse.
- To provide confidential health advice and support to staff and refer onto specialists agencies as necessary.
- To advise managers and staff on all aspects of occupational health and related health and safety legislation e.g. sickness absence issues, which may be sensitive and highly complex.
- To assist in undertaking work place assessments as required.
- To assist in provision of an Occupational Health service with support and guidance as necessary to independent contractors and/or outside agencies contracting the service.
- To participate in clinical supervision programmes in line with the policies and procedures of Whittington Health.
- To ensure that own professional development is maintained, in line with NMC
- To participate in the development of Whittington Health's action plans and objectives for area of
- To order specialist supplies, e. drugs and medical equipment.
- Accept accountability and responsibility for the management and effectiveness of the clinical service on a day-to-day basis in the absence of a more senior member of
- To organise own specialised
- To attend regular "one to one" meetings, annual appraisals, agree personal objectives and maintain KSF as agreed by line
- Keep up to date with legal and professional changes associated with occupational health and
- Monitor incident reports, maintaining and analysing statistical
- Ensure occupational health databases are maintained and kept updated
- as required, for audit
Revalidation and Registration
It is the responsibility of all staff registered with a professional body to:
- Act within the Professional Bodies Code of Practice
- Maintain their own work profile to ensure revalidation standards are met, and assist junior registered staff in achieving revalidation.
- Contribute and participate in the development of nurses and nursing practice across the trust through leading ward projects, and supporting training.
- Ensure optimum use is made of working time.
- Current registration with NMC
- Evidence of further professional development - specialist training
- Degree in Occupational health
Skills and abilities
- Experienced RGN
- Experience in the NHS
- Experience in Occupational health
- Phlebotomy skills
- Competent in immunisation procedures
Knowledge and Experience
- Bacis understanding of H&S legislation
- Commitment to evidence based practice
- Ability to organise and use own initiative
- Report writing skills
- Time management
- IT literate
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
The postholder will have access to vulnerable people in the course of their normal duties and as such this post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions Order) 1975 and as such it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service to check for any previous criminal convictions.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Maria Lemba
- Job title
- Senior Occupational Health nurse Advisor
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 020 7288 3351
If you have problems applying, contact
Whittington Health NHS Trust
- 0207 288 5925