ICAT Pharmacy Technician
- Band 5
- Full time: 37.5 hours per week
- Whittington Health NHS Trust
- Hornsey Street
- £24,907 - £30,615 per annum excl HCAs
- 11/03/2021 23:59
For our current apprenticeship vacancies, please go to https://www.gov.uk/apply-apprenticeship and use Keyword ‘Whittington’
By applying for this role, you accept in the event you are successful that your personal data may be transferred from the Trust to another NHS organisation where your employment transfers within the NHS. This is in accordance with the streamlining programme which is aimed at saving you time and improving efficiencies within the NHS when your employment transfers.
ICAT Pharmacy Technician, Band 5
Whittington Health is an integrated care organisation, committed to truly developing integrated patient pathways across acute and community care.
We are looking for an enthusiastic pharmacy technician who is passionate about the care of frail, older people to join our community geriatrics service (Integrated Community Ageing Team - ICAT) on a permanent basis.
ICAT was developed in 2014, led by a consultant geriatrician. ICAT initially focused on intervention in care homes, providing specialist support for residents, their carers and GPs.In the care homes, the pharmacists began working alongside the consultant geriatricians and the wider multidisciplinary team (MDT) in order to carry out comprehensive medication reviews. Present day, there are monthly face to face multidisciplinary meetings for each care home which allows better development of trust between the MDT members, better integrated working and patient involvement.
Main duties of the job
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced technician who is passionate about providing high quality, integrated care for older people. They will also have the opportunity to develop their skills in medicines reconciliation, counselling, carrying out audit and project work and also with education and training. We offer a programme of professional leadership and peer support, clinical supervision, ongoing education and professional development.
Working for our organisation
Whittington Health serves a richly diverse population and works hard to ensure that all our services are fair and equally accessible to everyone. Nowhere is this more obvious than in the way we look after our staff. We aim to employ a workforce which is as representative as possible of this population, so we are open to the value of differences in age, disability, gender, marital status, pregnancy and maternity, race, sexual orientation, and religion or belief. The Trust believes that as a public sector organisation we have an obligation to have recruitment, training, promotion and other formal employment policies and procedures that are sensitive to these differences. We think that by doing so, we are better able to treat our patients as well as being a better place to work.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
We are an engaged and committed team that strives to provide high quality, integrated patient care and would welcome the opportunity to further discuss the role with potential applicants or arrange an informal visit.
Please refer to the Job description and person specification for detailed information.
- Pharmacy technician, registered with the General Pharmaceutical Council
- City and Guilds, B/Tech, NVQ Level 3 or equivalent)
Knowledge & experience
- Evidence of recent and ongoing CPD / learning
- Experience working as a certificated/registered pharmacy technician working at a level of (equivalent) Band 4 or above for at least 3 years
- Experience or working with senior managers, clinicians and within a multidisciplinary environment
- Have good pharmaceutical knowledge and an understanding of medicines management issue and recognises limits of own practice
- Numerate and IT literate (capable of producing own reports / documents / presentations etc. as appropriate
- Experience working with older people and polypharmacy
- Experience of working with GPs or in Primary Care
- Knowledge of GP computer system s
- Clear communicator with good writing, report writing and presentation skills.
- Skills for communication on complex matters and difficult situations, requiring persuasion and influence
- Skills for nurturing key relationships and maintaining networks. Organisation and communication skills
- Ability to analyse and interpret information, pre -empt and evaluate issues, and recommend and appropriate course of action to address the issues
- Problem solving skills
- Attention to detail combined with the ability to extract key messages from complex analysis
- Independent thinker with demonstrated good judgement, problem -solving and analytical skills
- Takes decisions on difficult and contentious issues where they may be a number of courses of action.
- Prioritisation skills with ability to manage multiple strands of work
- Ability to work on own initiative and organise own workload without supervision working to tight and often changing timescales
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions Order) 1975 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Radha Shah
- Job title
- ICAT care home pharmacist
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 020 7288 5326
- Additional information
Radha Shah (ICAT Care home pharmacist) or Clare Martin (ICAT Pharmacist)
If you have problems applying, contact
Whittington Health NHS Trust
- 020 7288 3306